RE: Body lifts or fender trim for a GEN II Dak

From: Jason Bleazard (jbleazard@home.com)
Date: Wed Aug 18 1999 - 19:34:35 EDT

Dave,

Don't despair, I've actually *seen* 33" tires on a lifted '94 Dakota. From
what I remember, they fit just fine without fender trimming or a body lift.
Unfortunately, this was before I got my Dak and I didn't know I was supposed
to crawl under there to carefully check out how he had it set up.

The catch? They were BFG AT in 33x*9*.50. Most 33s I've seen are 12.5"
wide, these were 3" more narrow. Helps the tires tuck up into the wheel
wells.

I can't say if this truck was ever taken off the pavement or not. But I did
see it a few times on the street in Orem, so I know he had them on there for
quite a while. From what I could see, they were just fine for street use.
They looked like they belonged on the truck (instead of the silly-looking
tiny stock tires). From what I understand, if you can get the tires to work
for the street, it's not much of a stretch to make them work for the trail.

My goal is to get 33x10.50 Swamper Radials on my '95. If that doesn't work
out, BFG makes the MT in 33x9.50. I figure if I'm going to go to the
expense of lifting it, I'm not going to accept anything less than 33" tires.
You can get 33s on a Samurai with a 4" lift, fer cryin out loud.

Jason Bleazard http://www.bleazard.net Toronto, Ontario
current: '95 Dakota Sport white 4x4 Reg. Cab 239 V6 5spd
current: '98 Dakota Sport black 4x4 Club Cab 318 V8 Auto
RIP: '95 Dakota Sport black 4x2 Club Cab 239 V6 Auto