Body lifts or fender trim for a GEN II Dak

From: Killerdak@aol.com
Date: Tue Aug 17 1999 - 23:15:00 EDT

Ok, I've got a '96 4x4 Dak which I plan on lifting with the Trailmaster 4"
supension lift in a few months...my goal (eventually) is a locked and lifted
rock-clearing trail machine, so I want to put 33" BFG MT's on there, no
smaller.

I'm thinking that to get 33's on without rubbing I'm either gonna have to
trim out the fenders somewhat and edge off with aftermarket flares (my
preference), or put a 1-2" body lift on top of the 4" suspension lift.

I know Trailmaster makes a 3" body lift for Gen II Daks, but I don't want to
have that much, just 2" body lift max...(only if I must)...can I use 2"
generic spacers, or do I need to use a kit specific to my truck? (I'm
unfamiliar with the needed hardware) If so, are there other body lifts
available?

Or, has anyone actually put their Dak under the torch and opened up their
fenders? The back ones look easy but the front end doesn't have too much
space to play with...I'm really tempted to do this...! But then I've gotta
find some nice flares to fit and cover up all the cut edges...

Any opinions welcome...!

Dave Kilian
Clayton, NC
'96 Dakota CC Sport 4x4 3.9L 5-spd
2" Rear spring lift, front T-bar crank, 30x9.50 BFG AT's, Brush guard w/
Hellas, Tow hooks, Tool Box, Sunroof, Cobra 18 CB, 4' Firestik II, Alpine
6-disc CD Changer/Head Unit/amp, JBL speakers, Rhode Gear bike mount, and a
white dog named Jake in the passenger seat. 75,000+ miles.
In progress: custom-welded rock rails!!!