Re: Gas Mileage poll. What do you guys get? (15.8 here)

From: Mag318Racr@aol.com
Date: Thu Aug 19 1999 - 13:59:16 EDT

I had a Covercraft fabric cover on mine. After over 3.5 years of good use, it
finally gave out a couple weeks ago. Anyway I've only ran a couple tanks
through since and I am down about 1mpg without it. My driving style is pretty
consistant (hard) and I even notice the drag of the tailgate now. I was
getting right at 20 hwy and 17 in what I call the city but most of the roads
here are 45 zones and few lights.

Kelly '96 SLT CC 5.2
Leach headers, 3" single pipe, 13" MP open element, MP SEBC

I am surprised to hear that no MPG gains are realized with the tonneua
covers.
I do see slight Mpg's increase when I drive long distances with my tailgate
down.
I would think not having the wind brake either by dropping the tail gate or
a cover should
increase MPG. I was planning to buy one for the security of items in the bed
and better