Rear blown Gear detection Ted O

From: KURTZ ERIC (erics5.9@home.com)
Date: Sat Aug 21 1999 - 08:51:49 EDT

  Well, at first I had this little rattle only in 4th gear. It actually
was there for over a year and Groesbeck Ring and Pinion told me that it
was just typical Richmond gear noise. Im no gear guy so I figured they
were the experts ya know. Anyway, I noticed that I was starting to get
that rattle in 3rd and 5th a little, but not nearly the same as in 4th.
I ignored it cause it was very faint. I raced a Cobra on Gratiot and
then a new Lightning and 3rd gear started to feel weird. I thought it
was the trans, but I just had that rebuilt in March. Then when I had it
in any gear on my way home from racing I could feel from the shifter a
thumping. Kinda like 2 thumps per rotation of my driveshaft and that
skeered me! Then I opened up my rear slider and yup! THUMP THUMP THUMP
THUMP! Bad thumpin comin from the rear end. Parked that puppy for a
couple weeks and THEN when I was driving it the 6 blocks to the shop
that fixed it, it started to wine VERY loudly! But I would have to say
that the thumping started about 5 miles before the wine did.
  Thats my story!!
Eric