Re: ATTENTION SYCLONE ALERT

From: Bob Mankin (bob@cadpros.com)
Date: Mon Aug 23 1999 - 17:00:07 EDT

W. Jack Hilton III wrote:

> Well , I have heard most guys have to replace the tranny at least once and
> usually around 30K miles . I also spoke to one guy who did a bit of
> research on them and he spoke to some of the guys that developed the truck
> . They had told him that they had hidden alot of the powertrain dyno
> results from the corporate GM guys because it was breaking so many parts
> and they knew that the big boys would never allow them to sell such an
> unreliable vehicle .

Yeah, I talked with a guy years back who did motor buildups on that 4.3
V6(can't recall his name). I was considering a hotter motor for mine. He
lives just outside Detroit and was involved with the original
development for the Sy/Ty program. They did several variations of the
motor from mild to wild before settling on the one they used.

Seems there was much wrangling internally and the guys who really wanted
the hot rod truck did hide some things. More than once he did some late
night visits to the Dyno room to remove some "mistakes". Some of the
stories were hilarious. There was the one where the thing got so hot
that it kept running up until they disconnected the fuel flow. Exploding
motors imbedding parts into the wall. Many a hand grenade job including
one that blew the two front cylinders completely off the block! How much
of it was true is anyone's guess, but it would support the hidden
development idea.

Bob