Re: RE: Re: Re: Exhaust Advice

From: Gary Shook (gary.shook@wcom.com)
Date: Wed Aug 25 1999 - 14:08:00 EDT

'98 and up Rams already come with a 3" mandrel-bent tailpipe (but 2.5"
cat-muffler, and dual 2.25", maybe 2"? before the cat, and none of it
Mandrel-bent). I was looking at a RV-style Ultra-flow (large size for extra
deep tone) with 3" inlet and outlets... and I'd change out the 2.5" from
cat-muffler next... then headers (I want long-tube equal-length) will
require replacing the before-cat piping (my cat is a 2-into-1 style, and may
have to be replaced at that time)

I think this system would provide good low-end torque, with much (if any)
sacrifice in top end... I think the Magnum motors like a little
backpressure... but my '68 charger 383 ran best (1/4 mile) with just
18"long, 2.75" diameter extensions on the headers... no mufflers... bottom
end was only slightly impacted, but really woke up when you revved it past
6000... I lost a good portion of that top end when I re-hooked the exhaust
for the street.. had Glasspacks, but the piping was rather small (2" or
2.25" dual), which may have had something to do with it.

Anyway, thanks for your input... now If I can just get that garage built....

Gary Shook
Penrose, CO

Gary, I have a 2 chamber Flowmaster, but I think the key
here is, Rich and I have a 3 inch single exhaust system. I
like the Gibson muffler and have no complaints on the Flowmaster.
The 3" exhaust on mine goes out the back and terminates into
a duel resonator. I believe all this adds up to tons of torque.
side by side, If your not with me after 1st gear, I'm gone.
A Gibson muffler, Borla or any good flowing muffler will work
with a single 3 inch w/o loosing any torque and helps scavenging.
Probably the most underrated secret to exhaust systems because
Flow (CFM) takes center stage. Results are MPG and some hp. If I had
an auto I would probably do the same. My experience and .02.

GS -

97 3.9L 5spd
98 5.2L 5spd