Re: Expected Life of a Belt

From: GrnDak4x4@aol.com
Date: Fri Aug 27 1999 - 16:52:25 EDT

In a message dated 8/27/99 7:09:14 AM Central Daylight Time,
fawcett@uism.bu.edu writes:

<< If ANYONE has left there stock serpentine belt on (instead of going with
 underdrive pulleys :-), how long do they last???

 I'm getting a little belt squeak and I've only got 20k on the odo. Just
 wondering if I should be looking for "other" causes/problems. >>

Tom,
I left mine on for almost 70,000 miles. I decided to replace it when doing a
pre-fourwheelin weekend checkup, I noticed there were a fairly large amount
of cracks on the belt and figured that a busted belt would ruin a fun
weekend. Very easy job to do. I bought a 'Lifetime Warranty Belt' at a local
smaller parts store for $60. The squeak might indicate the need to tighten
the belt tensioner.
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6