Re: WAS:Car-Hacking NOW: R/T ECU ques.

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Sat Aug 28 1999 - 21:31:12 EDT

On Tue, 24 Aug 1999, Fisher Patrick-r37492 wrote:
[...]
> So, what's up with the computer in the Dak's that makes them different than
> other vehicles. I still haven't gotten an answer to my question about the
> fuel map for the ECU. If someone out there knows I'd really like an answer
> as to whether or not the Dakota computer runs in open loop during full
> throttle settings. If this is the case then adding a SC or nitrous would be
> a little more involved. Whereas if it has a more thorough map programmed
> into it, like Z28's do, then the computer will be able to add fuel as
> necessary based on amount of air entering the engine and not just default to
> a certain, non-changing, quantity. So can anyone out there help me here or
> has this topic not been brought up on this list? I can't believe no one has
> put a supercharger or nitrous on an R/T yet.

   Yes, the computer runs in open loop during WOT (and also during
decelleration). This actually makes nitrous installation a lot
easier as with nitrous, you can choose the proper nitrous and fuel jets
based on the set amount of fuel the injectors will be spraying. Also,
with nitrous on a street vehicle, you'd probably want to run just a tad
on the rich side for safety's sake. If it was still in closed loop,
the computer would be sending the engine over to the lean side as it
tries to hover around 14.7. Having the computer stay in closed
loop might be useful with a supercharger, since the power is on
in all situations, not just WOT, but many people have used them
and they seem to work just fine.

                                              -Jon-

  | '96 Dodge Dakota v8 SLT CC (14.55@94.14), '96 Kolb FireFly 447 |