Re: 1992 Dakota V-6 Auto, Air

From: BoogYT1300@aol.com
Date: Sun Aug 29 1999 - 09:05:10 EDT

In a message dated 8/28/99 7:28:56 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
dschultz@pop.dn.net writes:

<< I have a friend that might sell me his 1992 Dakota. It is a Reg cab, V-6,
 auto, AC.
 I am new to Dodge trucks and would like to know what the specific strengths
 and weaknesses are on the model year. The truck has 70,000 miles on it, has
 had the transmission replaced some time ago, seems to drive well, but has
 some slight roughness at idle.

 How hard is routine service of engine (oil,filters, ignition, timing) and
 transmission (filter, fluid)?
 Are the brakes easy to service?
 Can the A/C be easily converted to HFC134a if needed?

 Is $6500 a good deal for a nice clean truck?

 Any info would be appreciated.

Dave
I have a 92 V8 4x4 std cab and I love it. I looked into the newer gen III
Daks and I found mine was easier to work on. The fuel filter is extermal (vs
in the tank on newer ones). And under the hood, well that "cab forward"
design on the gen III's makes it hard to change the dist. cap & rotor. The
air filter design is the old style which makes it easier to modify, if your
into that stuff.
THis was a bad year for paint. Mine is peeling off. I have seen many early
90's Dodge trucks that have the same prob. Look at it carefully if you see
any "bubbles" the paint is lifting off the primer and it will start peeling
eventually.
Also a bad year for transmissions. Mine was replaced at 53K. You said it
was replaced, so you should be fine. There have been many upgrades on these
things so a reman tranny is actually much better than the stock.

The roughness at idle, may just need a tune up. I had this prob. I bought
some Magnecor wires and that solved it.

$6500 w/70K, not a bad deal, I would try to get it for 6000. though.
Hope this helps
Boog