Re: Crate 360 "ci" to an "NV4500" manual

From: mrdancer (mrdancer@camalott.com)
Date: Mon Aug 30 1999 - 19:25:29 EDT

1) I don't think you see a manual tranny in a Dak R/T (or any other
high-performance truck) because of liability problems. It's a lot easier
for a novice to end up with the truck in the weeds (or worse) when he's
having to stir a tranny versus just concentrating on 'driving' all of that
power. Automatics are much more forgiving off the line.....

2) I don't think the R/T 5.9 is really any different mechanically than the
Crate 5.9 engine. Your main differences come in the engine controls
(computer) that comes on the R/T. You 'could' easily swap out your R/T 5.9
for a Crate 5.9, but good luck getting it past an emissions test.

3) CAFE stands for "Corporate Average Fuel Economy". Manufacturers have to
meet a minimum average MPG rating when all of their manufactured vehicles
EPA ratings are averaged together. That is why they try to sell so many
HIGH MPG little cars, so that they can sell a few LOW MPG high performance
vehicles to maintain a performance image. If they don't meet the minimum
CAFE average, then they must pay a "Gas Guzzler" fine, something like $1500
added to the price of the vehicle.

'92 Dak CC 2wd 318 3.55
'84 GoldWing Interstate