Re: '99 Dakota with Spark Knock, advise needed!!

From: Joseph DaVolio (DavolJ@olympus.com)
Date: Fri Sep 03 1999 - 14:29:52 EDT

I have the same problem on my 99 5.2 with 6500 miles on it. I have also noticed that it goes away with higher octane gas. I can afford high octane, so I am living with the "cement mixer" until I need to have it serviced. I remember somebody posts a while back that the ping was from either advanced or retarded timing (I don't remember which one). The timing does play a role in this ping situation.

Joe

>>> <nc-ghost@geocities.com> 09/03 2:09 PM >>>
I have a '99 Dodge Dakota, V6, extended cab, shortbed. Ever since 7k it
developed a slight ping, by 11k it had already been to the dealer twice.
The first time they said a intake cover or something was not sealed
correctly, driving home I still heard it. The second time they re-routed
the spark plug wires, driving home I still heard it. Decided to wait a
little while before taking it back, thinking it was too quiet for them to
hear until it got louder. While waiting I discovered plus gas made a big
difference, after about 2-3 months I decided to try a tank of regular. Big
Mistake, it's still there and it is loud. It drove me crazy. I now have an
appointment for Wednesday after Labor Day to get them to look at it again.
It got so bad that 2 days later when I had only 1/2 tank of gas I filled up
with the highest octane I could fins, 93. By doing that the spark knock
went away. I feel that since the manual states to use regular unleaded gas
they should fix it to run on regular gas.

The reason for this post is to see what others think may be happening. What
does it say by plus or premium gas stopping the knock? What tips can be
relayed to the local Dodge service department?, they don't have a clue. Can
driving habits cause spark knock? Like heavy on acceleration, quick stops,
etc.