Re: Re: the airhorns...

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Tue Sep 07 1999 - 16:32:23 EDT

On Tue, 7 Sep 1999 Blbridges@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 8/26/1999 9:56:26 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
> Kabuki2@aol.com writes:
>
> << I'm still not convinced that removing the air horns is that benefitial.
> I'll
> bet if you opened them up to a wider angle, and then hogged out the lip,
> you'd probably see the same gains you saw by removing them. Stonehenge? LOL
> :) >>
> We remove em for 2 main reasons:
> 1. It looks nice and custom
> 2. the airhorns get mighty thin as you pull the angle for the new bores.
> they have a tendency to crack or break off during "wrenching". I hate to
> hear of busted product, so we try to avoid that kind of thing. also, a
> cracked horn that was "missed" could be an aluminum M&M for the motor later...

  Yep, I can attest to that. I think I'm the reason for this, actually. :-)
I was a "beta tester" for Frank and Bruce, and when I was installing the
initial stage II TB, (still had horns at that point), the wrench I was
using tapped against one of the air horns ever so slightly, and cracked it.
I grabbed the air horn between my thumb and forefinger to see if it would
move at all and it immediately snapped right off. When you open up the
bores, those air horns become paper thin.

                                              -Jon-

  | '96 Dodge Dakota V8, '96 Suzuki Intruder 1400, '96 Kolb FireFly 447 |