Was Turbo vs Supercharger; Now Valve spring info

From: WillTier@aol.com
Date: Thu Sep 09 1999 - 21:26:35 EDT

In a message dated 9/9/99 12:36:51 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
Frank.T.Holloway@KP.ORG writes:

<< That is the proper spring for cams with lifts greater than .500. The engine
 we are building up, we are using a Crane special grind (P/N 70HR00003).
 Lift, intake - .467, exhaust - .520 with 1.6 rockers. >>

Frank

I contacted Crane about a cam back when I first started to gather info on
them. I did this 2 years in a row before I made my decision. Crane had
recommended to me a 70HR00004 with .520 Intake and .531 ex which required
dual spring # 99838 - closed 110 & open 330. They had told me that these
would require machineing to the head and I did not want to get into that.
This is how I ended up with the Comp mess. I also run the numbers of both
through a couple of programs I have and felt the crane cam was going to be
too much both in low end loss and high RPM power (above what I wanted to
run). Bottom line is there appears to be no easy bolt on doit yourself route
to these mods. Jury is still out gathering info but so far I have appeared to
gain maybe one tenth from this project I just put together :-( The $599 for
the NOS kit gaining about 1.5 sec is still by far the most cost effective mod
I have been involved with. This last mod came in at about $1500 for a tenth
:-) But still fine tuning and haven't talked to you yet so I still have hope.

Bill