Re: RE: Off-Road tires

From: Jim, Donna, Erin, and Brian (leefam@wcc.net)
Date: Fri Sep 10 1999 - 13:08:19 EDT

Thornbirds get packed VERY fast. Especially in wet clay/gumbo. They don't
clean out very fast/easily either. Boggers seem to be one of the best
all-around offroad tires, but a lot of people use Goodyear MT's, too. The
new Mickey T BajaClaws (I think) have gotten raves from mag editors, but I
don't know anyone running them yet. Goodyear is going to have a new tread
pattern MT coming out too, I have seen some tests, and they look like a
winner too.

It comes down to what you want it to do. In my experience, tread life for
Boggers, TSLs, and Thornbirds isn't that great on the street. Best bet
would be to have 2 sets of tires really. One for fun, one for street, lots
of cash though...

I used to run Kelly Springfield Safari AWRs on my 79 Bronco. Decent on the
street, okay on trails. Not to good in silt, though. Got stuck in that
damn quick, but then again it weighed ~5500 lbs.... My friend's 89
Wrangler (350 TBI, 700R4, 4.11s in locked stock axles - for now, 2" body
lift+4" suspesion lift+spring over+buggy leaf rear) runs 33x12.5s Boggers
but is thinking of switching to the BajaClaws or the new Goodyear MTs.
He's not sure what's better either, though... I do know that SS Boggers
kickass in the mud(any type) and on the trail(rock, dirt, their "okay" in
really loose dirt hillclimbs)

And Boggers sound sweet at speed! You can hear him coming almost a mile
away by the sound @ 60mph! :-)

Brian