Re: Mounting a Mag Light

From: GrnDak4x4@aol.com
Date: Sat Sep 11 1999 - 22:03:48 EDT

In a message dated 9/11/99 6:37:00 PM Central Daylight Time,
howlingwolf1@juno.com writes:

<< I just got the mounting brackets for my maglight flashlight and I want to
 mount it in the cab of my truck. I thought about putting it on one side
 of the transmission hump. Whats is the best way for mounting it there,
 or does anyone have any other ideas?

Are you talking about those black Maglite plastic brackets?? If so, get ready
for them to break. I think I went through 2-3 sets before finally upgrading
to my current unbreakable mount kit. Here is what i did: My 4WD shifter is
surrounded all the way around by a plastic bezel in which there is a 1" or so
wide area. This 1" wide area is where I mounted mine, on the passenger's side
of course. I cut a 1/8" thick and 1 1/2" wide piece of flat steel stock to
the length of the plastic trim which surrounds the 4WD shifter. I drilled 4
holes in this piece and screwed it into the plastic and the some metal
underneath the plastic trim. Then, I went to Home Depot and bought some METAL
spring loaded clips(made for hanging/holding broom handles, hammers, etc) and
made sure they opened wide enough for the thickness of my Maglite. There are
3 or so different kinds, so make sure to find the ones that grip the Maglite
good enough. I then screwed these 2 mounts into the flat steel stock, so that
one clip clamped onto the Maglite towards to top and one clamped the Maglite
closer to the base of the lite. I love it and it has never popped our, bent,
or broken. For the price of those plastic ones, I made this mounting kit for
the same price, but this one is awesome and looks great too. Good luck
whatever you plan on doing.
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6