Re: Mopar Sunday at the strip

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Mon Sep 13 1999 - 21:28:16 EDT

At 08:39 PM 9/13/99 EDT, you wrote:
>Tell me, were you running in auto or manual shifting, if manual shifting,
>like you normally do, try in auto...now that you have the shift kit, see
>what happens. Good run! Boog

I was manual shifting as I normally do, Boog. I did try letting it shift
by itself with the kit but found that the 2-3 shift put the revs below
where my power band is. It'd wind up at 3000 rpm in third, stay there
for quite a while and then very, very slowly begin increasing the rpms.

I found that, by manual shifting the 2-3 at 5300 rpm, it would drop to
3300 rpm and begin pulling in third immediately and move up a lot quicker.
Problem is, holding the 2-3 shift until 5300 rpm at WOT and the shifting
becomes erratic ... sometimes aok, sometimes no shift and revs just keep
going up in 2nd.

I did four of the runs with the air cleaner off on Sunday. What I found
was that it would help mph by hundredths of a second but not ETs. For
that last run, I put the cleaner back on and disconnected the battery
while waiting. The erratic shifting spooked me and I thought I might
as well start with the PCM's short memory cleared. As it was, the 2-3
shift problem still happened but I was able to get it shifted by letting
up a bit and not waiting to see when it would shift. You can see by
the trap speed of 88.27 mph that I lost speed and probably cost me an
ET of around 15.27 to 15.29. The temp was mid-80s but there was a fair
tailwind. BTW, my 1/8 was 9.768 @ 72.06 (previous best was 9.815 @ 71.26).

I'll sort it out eventually ... hope before I'm in a wheelchair ...
maybe I should use the wheelchair down the track instead.

How's your quest for a '00 Dak going?

Bob, Burlington, Ontario
'97 FR CC NSV Sport, 5.2L, 3.55 SG, auto.