RE: Spacer :Was My thoughts on bore size results..

From: Bernd D. Ratsch (bernd@texas.net)
Date: Tue Sep 14 1999 - 01:09:21 EDT

Tony,

I don't know how he's getting better pulls with the cone, but the K&N Filter
is a 7" x 7" (4" Taper) Cone. The MAX Flow Rate is approximately 925CFM
(more than adequate for a 5.9L with serious mods (cam/heads/TB). I've taken
a look at yours as well (installed on my buddies Dak 5.2L) and it looks like
a 6"x9" (1017 MAX CFM). Since both filters can outflow the requirements of
a seriously modified 5.9L, either one should work just fine.

I've done a simple smoke test, using the Dual eRam for airflow, on my cone
and found that the area it uses is only at the first 4" of the cone. (The
Dual eRams pull approximately 700CFM and this is only a 5" x 7" cone.)

Again, both yours and the K&N are well within range for any of our engines.
My guess is that it may just be the design of the cone that gives a few
extra ponies. (Or it could be good old fashioned F.M.) ;)

- Bernd