Re: Future Plans and ???'s

From: Bernd D. Ratsch (bernd@texas.net)
Date: Tue Sep 14 1999 - 11:17:34 EDT

The most major problem you'd have is detonation (pinging) but the other
problem which ranks up there would be fuel delivery...without any type of
Computer mods, you'd have a problem. Most of the manufacturers have either
Fuel Nozzles or Plates that add the extra fuel but this sometimes causes
the computers to lean out the engine (O2 senses not enough oxygen - rich
mixture and reduces the fuel delivery). NOS has run into this problem
already and is working on a "Fake Out" solution to trick the computer into
thinking that the mixture is still within range.

One item to take into consideration on the Nitrous is a "Progressive
System" rather than the old-school way of "Shoot it and hold it" (the
throttle mainly). the progressive systems introduce the gas in a much more
controlled method since it they start (as an example) at 50HP, then 75HP,
and then 100HP. This is controlled several different ways but the method
of choice is via an aftermarket throttle switch and/or delay box.

You also don't want to run a stock motor with anything more than a 125HP
Nitrous "Boost" without quality forged pistons and a quality steel crank.
These parts have a tendency to "blow up" rather easily if too much stress
is placed on them...ex: 100HP from Blower and 150+HP from Nitrous...Great
for e.t's...BAD for stock engines.

However, You've got the right idea...Nitrous and a Supercharger (or Turbo)
is the "Ultimate Combination" due to the cooling effect of the
Nitrous. You could possibly take up to 2 seconds off of your track times
(1/4 mile)...if you keep the tires from breaking loose with all that power.

- Bernd