RE: *Rattle Ring Rattle* (help, please!)

From: David Gloff (dgloff@xnet.com)
Date: Sun Sep 19 1999 - 17:37:25 EDT

>>Here in the past couple of weeks or so, I've noticed that
the Dak has developed a "ringing rattle" which sounds like
it is coming from under the cab. It only seems real
noticeable after the truck has warmed up a bit (after about
a couple of minutes or so) when driving around in first
and second gear at around 1000-1500 rpm<<

My truck had a similar rattle when new, seemed to come and go depending on
angle, engine speed, phases of the moon, etc. What I found was a heat
shield on the manifold that was buzzing against the manifold itself. There
is another HS on the Cat as well which could be causing the noise. I just
pulled it away a bit with my screwdriver (do NOT touch a heat shield with
your hands if the engine has been run in the last 6 hours, and this is best
done WHILE it's running), and the sound went away for good.

David Gloff