RE: Why the DML sticker add

From: Shaun.Hendricks@bergenbrunswig.com
Date: Mon Sep 20 1999 - 11:19:00 EDT

   The true "power" formula was actually discovered to be a deriviative of
Einstien's energy formula, it's actually fairly simple:

P=AC^2 -or- Power = Area of Sticker x Number of Cylinders (squared)

  Thus if you have a V8 with a 9" circular sticker you get:

Area = 9" x 3.1415 (pi) = 28.2735"
8 (cyl) squared is 8x8 or 64
28.2735 x 64 = 1809.504 (fergs of power)

  A ferg is a measure of destructive power, kinda like an 'erg' but more
devastating. The definition of a ferg came from my little toy french poodle
"Fergie", and she was difficult to rate in destructive damage, but after all
tests were done, a single "Fergie" was discovered to be somewhere between a
6.8 earthquake and a Class Five Tornado. Such a large energy unit isn't very
useful for smaller scientific measurements so we took 1/100th of a "Fergie"
and called it a 'ferg'. When doing the horsepower conversions (a long,
convoluted equation brought us to this simple conversion; you'll have to trust
me) you basically move the decimal one place to the left. So in our example,
the sticker adds 180.95 HP to your engine. For a six cylinder in this example
it's around 101 HP.

  So to answer your question directly, yes, the sticker increases a V6 beyond
an unstickered V8's power given the right circumstances and size proportions.
The problem is that, by the equation, a V6 can never exceed a V8 given the
same sticker size. So, yes, SIZE DOES MATTER! Keep that in mind...

Shaun H.