Pitman Arm/Front End Questions.....

From: GrnDak4x4@aol.com
Date: Tue Sep 21 1999 - 13:14:46 EDT

When I grease all my zerk fittings this weekend, I want to check my front end
steering components for wear. I replaced the idler arm about 12,000 miles
ago, cause it had a lot of play in it. How can I check the pitman arm to see
if it needs replacing??? I know to check the tie rods I would jack up the
front end off the ground and try to force/wiggle the tire back and forth/side
to side, play would indicate worn tie rods. For ball joints, force/wiggle the
tire up and down, play would also indicate wear. So far, the front end has
been rather tight with little play, pretty good for a 4WD truck with 109,800
miles on it. I have been rather religous about greasing the fittings too,
which I think greatly helps. Thanks for any and all help/input.
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6