Re: Suspension: 4x4 vs 4x2, raising ?'s

From: Jetmugg@aol.com
Date: Tue Sep 21 1999 - 15:05:00 EDT

I have a '92 2WD, which I also installed Air Ride bags on the rear (actually
for towing/hauling capacity), but they raised the rear also. As far as the
front end, I bought a pair of Daystar coil spring spacers which are designed
for '94 and up Ram pickups, but they work fine with Dakota's as well. These
spacers are approximately 2-3/4" thick, and can be machined or sanded down to
whatever thickness is desired. You can get them from Rocky Mountain
Suspension. Both DayStar and Rocky Mountain have good websites, also. When I
first installed mine at the full thickness, there was too much lift, and the
suspension was actually compressed against the bump stop on the upper control
arm. (the bumpstop could have been trimmed for additional clearance) After
a few weeks, I removed the spacers and milled approximately 7/8" off of them,
now the truck sits almost perfectly level, and the ride is not too harsh
either. I used regular Monroe Gas Rider LT shocks, in conjunction with 2"
shock extensions on the front, and they work great (cheap too.)
   As far as the rear, there are add-a-leaf kits available for the 2wd
Dakotas, which can give approximately 2" lift for about $50. I believe that
the Hellwig part# for Dakota's is pn# 2204.