Re: New member intro...

From: GrnDak4x4@aol.com
Date: Tue Sep 21 1999 - 20:38:32 EDT

In a message dated 9/21/99 5:40:45 PM Central Daylight Time,
CDaivs3872@aol.com writes:

<< Next up: I need rotors that don't warp. Anybody know who makes a good set
for
 this truck? How about a cure for spark knock? Even on 92 octane the thing
 still pings. I even dropped to a 180 degree stat which helped some, but its
 still there. >>

At 110,000 miles, I still am using factory original rotors as well as drums.
They cannot be turned anymore, but I think this kind of mileage is pretty
darn good. As far as the warpage goes, just spend the extra money and get
some lifetime rotors. This way if they do warp, its covered under warranty. I
know my first brake job I did on my Dak, the fronts were pretty warped and
had to be turned a considerable amount, but were still within safety specs
afterwards. I think my warpage was due to driving on the highway(heated the
rotors up) and then went four wheelin alot the first 45,000 miles I put on my
Dak. After the rotors heated up, I went wheelin in cooler temp creeks and
mud, thus cooling the metal too fast, thus warping the metal. Just my opinion
though. Plus the fact that they just dont make Dak rotors like they used to :)
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6