Re: Noisy Lifters

From: Tibor Kun (tiborkun@excite.com)
Date: Wed Sep 22 1999 - 11:45:41 EDT

Hi GS,

>> Tibor, Hydrolic lifters will sometimes loose their preload and tick for a
few seconds on startup. I run Mobil1 10W30 and I have 1 Mopar rocker that
will tick for a couple of seconds on a cold start. It should go away after
warmup tho. I think Mobil1 is so thin it really does make things rattle in
the engine. I may have to try Castrol Syntec just to see how it performs.
<<

Maybe I'll give Castrol Syntec a try too, then. Mine ticks for about the
first quarter to half a mile. It'll tick when it's sitting there and I'm
giving it a few seconds to warm up before driving off, and then as I drive
off for about half a minute to a minute. Right now I have regular oil in it
(Chevron) and we'll see if it goes away; hasn't yet.

>> I really don't see how a good namebrand synthetic oil could void our
warranty. <<

I don't know per se that it does, I'm just playing it safe. A buddy of mine
has a Toyota that he won't run synthetic in because he knows for a fact that
it actually DOES void his warranty. I just didn't want to take the chance.
They haven't said anything about my homemade air.

I should be taking the Dakota in either this weekend or early next week; I
have to fly out for a day on business tomorrow, so I'm not sure now; that
usually manages to mess up my schedule somehow.

Thanks.

--
Tibor Kun
Email: tkun@compuserve.com