Re: Never Use Dextron 3 in Chrysler Tranny

From: W. Jack Hilton III (HEMI@charter.net)
Date: Thu Sep 23 1999 - 00:15:24 EDT

Most people do not know that , in fact I didn't until recently . If the car
calls for Dextron 2 and you put Dextron 3 , you are doing a No-No . The
friction modifiers are different I believe . At least that is what the guy
at Royal Purple told me . He was surprised by it too .

At 11:49 PM 9/22/99 EDT, you wrote:
>Man, that dipstick is a lying little sh*t. I mean the tranny dipstick, it
>says, "use mopar ATF plus or Dextron 2" so I figure, hey Dextron 3 is better
>than 2 (well it is). So I add a little to raise my fluid level(kinda low),
>Now when I pegg it and lift about 1/2 way through, it sits and stays at a
>RPM, instead of shifting. This really pissed me off.
> Oh well I guess it was in for a fluid and filter change anyway.
Speaking
>of that, anyone know how many quarts of type 7176 AFT plus 3 my tranny
>take(jsut dropping pan, new filter, thats it)? My manual gave me some huge
>ass number, but I know that the fluid doesn't all drain out. If someone
>could jsut give me a number to start with it would be great. Thanks
>Greg

W. Jack Hilton III

HEMI@charter.net

http://webpages.charter.net/hemi/jbd1.html