Re: Magnum engines

From: Gary Shook (gary.shook@wcom.com)
Date: Thu Sep 23 1999 - 11:38:27 EDT

The comparison is like apples and oranges.. the new engine that Dodge will
be leading with is the "Powertech" series.. the first of these is the 4.7L
OHC... that's what the Tritons should be compared to... but if you want to
compare:

Block: basically the same, but the Magnum is setup for roller cam and the
valvetrain oiling is different
Heads: The Magnum heads flow much better than the pre-magnum, but the
overall technology is similar.. valvetrain is different, the pre-magnum had
oiling through the heads, and rocker shafts, the Magnum uses oiling through
the pushrods and stud-based rockers.
Intake: the pre-magnum uses a dual-plane design (I think), while the Magnum
uses a tuned-runner barrel intake design
Fuel injection: the pre-magnum was Carburated, TBI injected, or at best I
think some were multi-port batch injection. The Magnum is sequential fuel
injected.

Overall, he is correct that the Magnum is basically improvements on the old
LA small block, but let him know about the Powertech engine... It's a
COMPLETELY new engine design with no common parts.

Gary Shook
Penrose, CO