Re: Magnum engines

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Thu Sep 23 1999 - 12:00:16 EDT

On Thu, 23 Sep 1999, Greig, Doug wrote:

> I'm in the middle of an argument with a co-worker between Dodge and
> Ford and their engines. He is a die hard Ford fan who says you can't
> beat the technology in the new Ford Triton engines compared to the old
> Ford engines. He claims the same for Chebbies. When I started talking
> about how Dodge now has the Magnum engines, which are also better than
> previous Dodge engines. Now I'm told by several people here that all
> Dodge did was rename their old technology with the Magnum name.
> Considering I'm new to the Dodge line and am here for life (I just Love
> my DAK), I want to be able to defend myself with more than just saying "
> 'cause it is better, that's why!" So, can someone please explain to me
> the difference between the pre-Mag engines and today's Magnum?

   I'm sure someone will mention some things I missed, but as far as
I know, there are 2 major differences:

   Obviously, the older engines were carbeurated. Somewhere around
the late 80s, they got throttle body fuel injection (injectors on
top of the throttle body). Starting with the Magnum engine (1992
for the 318, 1993 for the 360), they switched over to multi-port
fuel injection (1 injector per cylinder).

   Also, the Magnum heads are a much better design than the old heads.
I don't know all of the specifics, but I've heard they're some of the
best flowing heads out there. There are people with older engines
(340s and the like) who bolt Magnum heads onto their engines for power
increases.) (Well, its not technically a "bolt on", there is some
fabrication involved, but you get the idea.) :-)

   The engine mounts are different, but that really isn't a
technological increase...

   I guess it depends on how you look at it. The bore, stroke,
and such is the same. I guess you could think of it as the
old engines with a different set of heads and an intake, and
fuel injection instead of carbeuration. In that respect,
I guess they haven't changed much, but there are definitely
technological improvements.

   Here's a comeback for ya... "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
:-) Maybe if Ferd and Chebby had designed their engines right the
first time, they wouldn't need to change 'em to keep up with Ma
Mopar. ;-) The HEMI was born in 1950's, and almost 50 years
later, Ferd and Chebby STILL haven't created a motor that can hold a
candle to it, technilogically advanced or not... (If I ever
manage to stumble my way into a lot of cash, a fuel injected HEMI
*is* getting dropped into my Dak.) :-) Of course, if we get off
the subject of pushrod V8s, we can talk about the Viper powerplant.
(And even smaller displacement ones like the Neon engines and such).
Production cars don't come too much more technologically advanced
than that... I just finished reading an article in Mopar Action
about a new turbo kit for the Neon that provides about 7psi of
boost. With a cat-back exhaust and slicks, the little 4-banger has
run 13 flat! Ummm, sorry, I guess I got a little off the subject
there. Anyway... Make no mistake; Mopar is the innovator; the
other 2 are just imitators. :-)

                                              -Jon-

  | '96 Dodge Dakota V8, '96 Suzuki Intruder 1400, '96 Kolb FireFly 447 |