Re: Alternators 'n' Woo-woo...

From: Gary Shook (gary.shook@wcom.com)
Date: Fri Oct 15 1999 - 14:54:53 EDT

> My '88 chubby beretta has now gone through its 5th alternator and its 6th
> battery, I heard that its one piece
> belts may lead to it, due to the high tension. If thats not it, then what
> is the major cause of alternator failure?
> Electrical system? Engine? The belts bad? These GM cars have always
> baffled me, and the alternator problem
> is pretty widespread.

What alternator are you using to replace it (rebuilt?)

The problem may not be with the car or the belt, but lousy rebuild
quality... I've seen friends go through 4 or 5 AC compressors before they
demanded their money back (cost alot more than original cost due to lost
Freon) and got a NEW unit and never had problems again... YMMV

Gary "Lunatic Fringe" Shook
Penrose, CO