Re: RE: Increased Capacity Oil Filter

From: Gary Shook (gary.shook@wcom.com)
Date: Thu Sep 23 1999 - 15:26:18 EDT

His comments are:
Another quality oil filter similar in design to the Purolator. It has metal
end caps on the filter element, a standard nitrile anti-drainback valve, and
a seemingly good flow. They are manufactured by the Dana corperation.
These appear to have a depth gradient filter element, which uses cotton
fibers to progressively trap smaller particles as they get deeper in the
filter. This helps maintain good flow as the filter gets plugged.

It's got 61 pleats, which is high (Pure One is 64 pleats, Mobil 1 is 52
pleats)
filter surface area: 349 Square inches.. compared to 351 for the Mobil 1 and
400 for the Pure One)

technical description:
This filter has metal cartridge end caps, but has a separate bypass valve
that rests against the bottom end cap, like the AC Delco. I refer to this
as a two-piece filter cartridge. Like the Champion, it uses an
anti-drainback valve that doubles as the bypass valve-to-backplate seal.
Instead of the leaf-spring-type spacer that most filters use, these use a
stiff coil spring at the top of the cartridge. Like the Purolator, the
filter element paper media is stronger than the Champion media. The only
drawback to this design is that the bypass valve seats metal-to-metal
against the bottom cartridge end plate. This could allow dirty oil to seep
from the dirty side to the clean side of the filter, bypassing the element.
The design will not allow oil to seep back into the pan, though.

It's a good filter... but I like the synthetic media in the Mobil 1, and I
don't see WIX for sale anywhere I go....