My cluster died -- kinda long

From: Ryan & Joellen LeBlanc (rleblanc1@earthlink.net)
Date: Thu Sep 23 1999 - 22:20:06 EDT

Well, today my wife and I go to wash the Dakota (which is for sale) and our
new Durango. We have not been driving the Dak so as not to put miles on it.
Started right up, ran fine all the way to the wash. This is one of those
hand washes. So, it was done before the Durango, so I pulled it out of the
line and into a parking place, and sat and waited with it idling.

After about 3 or 4 minutes of sitting there, I all of a sudden heard the
double chime that usually goes off when the gas is low. I look at the
gauges, and it is the Air Bag light, the tank was full. After staring at it
for a few seconds and pondering :o), the Security light chimes and lights.
Then, the Tach dies. Needle just drops to zero. I hit the gas a little,
and the truck is still running just fine. Couple seconds later, the Gas
light chimes and lights. Now those three lights are on, the tach is dead,
and the Odometer is flashing! So, I turned the truck off, waited 10
seconds, and started back up. This time the tach does not respond at all,
and the same three lights chime and light up. So, I drive the truck home,
no problem except the speedo doesn't work either.

I have to admit, I am totally stumped. I already sold my Service Manual, so
don't know where to start. I had to get going to work, so did not check the
fuses. The Engine compartment looked normal, and all of the connections to
the computer seemed tight. Any ideas? Thanks y'all

Ryan LeBlanc
99, Durango, 5.9L, 4x4, SLT, Forest Green
Soon to be ex:
97, CC, 5.2L, 5 spd, 4x2, SLT+