Re: My cluster died -- kinda long

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Fri Sep 24 1999 - 07:23:30 EDT

At 07:20 PM 9/23/99 -0700, you wrote:
> <snip> This is one of those hand washes. <snip>
>After about 3 or 4 minutes of sitting there, I all of a sudden heard the
>double chime that usually goes off when the gas is low. I look at the
>gauges, and it is the Air Bag light, the tank was full. After staring at it
>for a few seconds and pondering :o), the Security light chimes and lights.
>Then, the Tach dies. Needle just drops to zero. I hit the gas a little,
>and the truck is still running just fine. Couple seconds later, the Gas
>light chimes and lights. Now those three lights are on, the tach is dead,
>and the Odometer is flashing! So, I turned the truck off, waited 10
>seconds, and started back up. This time the tach does not respond at all,
>and the same three lights chime and light up. So, I drive the truck home,
>no problem except the speedo doesn't work either.

These are almost same symptoms that I have when running a '96 MP computer
in my '97. With the '96 MP computer, I get the chimes, 3 lights on, odometer
flashing but ALL gauges are not functioning.

Most, if not all, the gauges/lights/chimes in the '97+ receive their input
signals from a bus which links to a Central Timer Module (similar to
a local computer on a network) which located to the right of the glove
box. The CTM, in turn, gets receives a combined input signal via the
bus from one of the pins in the PCM. The PCM receives input signals
from the various sensors (temp./oil pressure/speed/etc.).

My guess is that some of these pins in the connectors at the PCM or the
PCM pins, themselves, got wet. Remove the -ive cable at the battery and
try drying the connector/PCM pins out out with a hair blower, put on some
dielectric grease on the pins, hook up the connectors and battery cable to
see if your panel will now function. It's not likely that the CTM was
affected (but you never know). If this does not correct the panel problem,
the only thing I can suggest is to take it to the dealer.

Hope this helps.

Bob, Burlington, Ontario
'97 FR CC Sport, 5.2L, 3.55 SG, auto., 15.268 @ 88.86