Re: headlight/driving lamp switch

From: Tim Eickman (teickman@michaudcooley.com)
Date: Fri Sep 24 1999 - 10:25:50 EDT

Erwin,
        I had that same problem about a week ago. It turned out to be
the headlight/driving lamp switch. You can test for a bad switch by
doing the following: 1. Remove the dash (pulls out) 2. Remove
the two screws from the switch and pull it out. 3. On the back
there are two wire plugs. One of them has a bunch of wires and
one of the plugs is grey and has only two wires. Take the plug with
two wires and short across the connectors (a piece of wire or
whatever). If the driving lights turn on then ya got a bad switch.

        I pulled apart my bad switch before I took it to the dealer (I have
free time). It is really a piss poor design, there is a conductor at
the back of the rotator so that when you pull the switch out it
makes contact and hence turns the lights on. Well you pull on the
switch enough times and the conductor simply falls off. I believe
that they have fixed this design since but I am not sure. Anyway
there have been a few people on the list that have reported the bad
headlamp/driving light switch....

> Hello List
>
> Since I've had my Dak, its been trouble free 'til now, I have the optional
> driving lights, they won't turn on, I already made an appointment with the
> dealer to bring it in to have ck'ed out, since he knows I had an alarm
> installed, he suggested that I have the plce check it out just to make sure
> it isn't their fault.
>
> Upon arrival at the alarm place, the owner himself was nice enough to check
> it out and from his findings the headlight switch is no good, he even
> disconnected the wire for the flashing lights to be sure it isn't his fault,
> now my question, has anyone else here ran into the same problem, after I go
> to the dealer and hopefully the tech will find the same thing, once my new
> switch is installed, I'll put the flashing lights back on and even have air
> horns installed! TIA
>

> Erwin Mendoza
> '99 SLT CC 4X4 V-6
> Edison, New Jersey