Re: Ebay: Vortech Supercharger for 91-96 318/360

From: Kabuki2@aol.com
Date: Tue Sep 28 1999 - 01:06:09 EDT

In a message dated 9/27/99 4:41:12 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tigers@bserv.com
writes:

<< If you mean an MP PCM when you write 'upgrade computer chip', that plus
 the headers, cam, lifters, hd valve springs, retainers, 1.6 alum. rockers
 cut my ETs by about 1.1 seconds. Being that your Ram is probably heavier
 than my Dak (4350 lb), you will likely see a smaller improvement. >>

I ran the stock computer, Comp Cam (kinda radical for a stock intake
configuration ... works great with the Vortech), headers, 4.10s, dual 2 1/2"
exhaust, msd, and rockers and it took my Ram down about 7 tenths or so.

<< I don't know what power figures the Powerdyne adds but the above Magnum
R/T package adds about 40-45 lb-ft of torque and about 45 hp to the
rear wheels (all figures are corrected). You will loose a bit of low
end torque but will be strong in the mid to high end. The MP computer
will also eliminate the speed limiter and raise the rev limiter to
about 6200 rpm and the redline to about 5500 rpm. (92 octane required). >>

I didn't notice any low end loss with the MP cam ... it was much like the
stock powerband with a little extra up top. This was on a 98 Dak 5.2L, 2wd,
5spd w/ 3.92s though, so 1st gear just went up in smoke anyways.

FWIW - The Vortech kit gave me ~140hp over my current combo w/ the stock
3.125" pulley. That's only 5-6lbs of boost.

<< With the blower, you will not need the MP PCM but will probably need to add
a device which will retard timing unless it's included with the SC package.
You'll also be restricted by the speed/rev limiters unless you go with
a customized computer. I personally would not go with a blower until
I strengthened the valve train components first. Hope this helps a bit. >>

Vortech's kit comes with a new ignition from Crane. They don't use the Hi-6TR
anymore, it's a newer model...

ttyl
Patrick