Re: DML:Mopar in Nascar

From: W. Jack Hilton III (HEMI@charter.net)
Date: Sat Oct 02 1999 - 16:20:52 EDT

I have heard from reports too that traditionally Daimler competes in the
highest level of competition available , which would be NASCAR here .

I guess you Daimler naysayers can thank the Germans for something .

Chrysler tried to get the old front wheel drive LeBaron into NASCAR several
years ago , but I believe NASCAR said it was too narrow or the roofline was
too low or some BS . It did compete in ARCA driven by Bob Keselowski though .

At 08:10 AM 10/2/99 -0700, you wrote:
>From what I have heard,(reported in Car and Driver and Automobile
>magizines) the Daimler component of DC is extremely interested in
>competing in NASCAR. The Intrepid would be the sacrificial goat, so to
>speak, to set up a couple of teams, and get them up to speed. Somewhat
>like Sauber did for MB in sports car racing in the late '80s. The
>Charger, if it does actually reach production, would be the serious
>contender. Don't expect Ray Everingham to be the crew chief, his
>settlement with Hendriks prevents him from taking that job through 2006,
>when his original contract would have run out...but there is nothing to
>prevent him from being a team OWNER!!
>Skip
>
>Eric Kurtz wrote:
>>
>> Derek,
>> As Im sure you know, Ford uses the Taurus, so the Intrepid is a
>> viable apponent in that respect. V8 rear wheel drive huh. From
>> Chrysler? What makes you think that will happen? =0) The showcar
>> Charger is under question now. That may not be a reality any time soon,
>> but don't loose hope. V8 rear wheel drive huh!? Now if they would only
>> bring back the Hemi!
>> Eric =0)
>>
>> DEREK BROOKS wrote:
>> >
>> > from what i herd the chrystler was just a rumor but a real posobility
unlike
>> > the rumors that have been around for the last 20 years about their
return to
>> > winston cup just look at the development and money that has been put into
>> > the truck series however in my opinion i dont think the intreped
will be
>> > used if they make the charger and its avalabul by then since chrystler
>> > always said it wouldnt run untill it had a v8 rear wheel drive car on the
>> > street but you never know i hope they decide to run soon

Everham
>> > effort

>--
>Shadowcatcher Imagery