Re: What should I expect in the 1/4 mile?

From: W. Jack Hilton III (HEMI@charter.net)
Date: Sun Oct 03 1999 - 14:00:39 EDT

I will be very curious to see what your truck runs . I think you are the
only guy that has one without AC , you would never survive in GA , LOL !

Anyway , I would set the pressure in the tires somewhere around 17-18PSI ,
and launch at about 1200-1300 RPM .

MAKE SURE you turn the OD off , it is easy to forget and I have done it
myself .

Also , I would first try to NOT do a burnout . Make sure you do NOT drive
through the waterbox either . These Goodyears may handle great , but if you
try and do a burnout with em , you'll be buying new tires quickly and also
taking the time to get the rubber off the truck . BTW - The rubber pieces
up under the inside of the rear fenderwells does NOT come off !

Don't bother with hi-octane gas unless you actually need it for some reason
, I always run mine on 87 . Remember , it burns quicker than hi-octane .

Don't try shifting yourself or you will do like I did : I thought I started
in low gear , but I was actually in 2nd , so when I thought I shifted into
3rd , I actually shifted into Neutral !! Yeah , I bounced off the rev
limiter before I figured it out .

Also , if you have about $12 , go down to a parts store and ask for a
serpentine belt that will bypass your Power Steering . It takes like 2
minutes to change it out and all you need is one 15mm wrench and another
wrench to add some length to the first by locking them together . Part
number is Dayco# 506-0538 . If they can't cross reference the numbers ,
tell them you need a 6 rib belt , 53.8" long . You have to route it kinda
funky , but it will only be for the races and should be fine . Just
remember that your truck will be hard as hell to steer with it on , and not
to really jerk the wheel around to hard or too sudenly with it on there .

Good Luck !!

At 01:31 PM 10/3/99 EDT, you wrote:
>Ok folks, I'm going to be running my 1999 R/T either next weekend, or the
>following weekend out at Milan for the first time. (And to add, will be the
>first time I've ever dragged at a strip)
>
>The truck is a 1999 Regular Cab R/T with the following short list of mods:
>2 pc. ASP underdrive pulley set
>K&N Gen II
>Quick-D Throttle Body
>Weight loss program (no air, no spare/jack/etc.)
>
>So my question is: What should I expect to be running in the 1320?
>I have about 5,000 miles on the truck, so it should be nicely broken in. (I
>was thinking about making my second oil change before the race, and put in
>synthetic)
>
>Also, seeings how this will be my first trip to the track... any pointers
are
>greatly appreciated. With a slush box, I'm guessing my only problem will be
>simpily getting a good reaction time, and trying to limit my wheel spin...
>but still, please lemme know what I can do to try and hammer down the
slowest
>ET possible.

W. Jack Hilton III

HEMI@charter.net