Re: the fall(?) of the mighty premag

From: Jack Hilton (HEMI@charter.net)
Date: Mon Oct 04 1999 - 18:28:38 EDT

Here is a plausible explanation :

Your rings are going bad and therefor allowing air to slide past the rings
on the compression stroke . When this happens , you end up basically
pressurizing the crankcase which will make oil and smoke squirt outta every
possible hole . Any seals that can leak will , and it will really go
through oil .

This is commonly referred to as "Blow-By" as the gas and air that is sucked
into the engine for combustion is 'Blowing-By' the rings and entering the
crankcase .

Sounds like you are due for a rebuild .

At 05:56 PM 10/4/1999 -0400, you wrote:
>okay guys, this is some bad news.....
>
>the mighty premag, the one known as ooV6, the legendary Magnum Spankin'
premag... may be on it's last legs.

>Here are the symptoms:
>1.) unusually high oil pressure. reading damn near the "H", but with the
right amount of oil in the pan, and a new oil sending unit, and leaking
main seals
>2.) smoke comin' out of everything. Tailpipe, oil filler hole worries me
the most. The smoke (and a lot of it) comes out of the pipe only under
heavy throttle at higher RPMs.
>3.) she goes through oil like I go through beer. I'm talkin' a quart every
week and a half.
>4.) black residue on my bumper and tail pipe.
>
>I'm thinkin' it's time for Piston rings.. ie, rebuild. Does anyone know
about how much a rebuild may cost?

> I do have a master plan tho...
>
>If I can get a rebuild for cheap, I may put a set of Magnum heads on it,
and a V8 TB. Along with the headers and all the stuff I have now, I'll be a
V8 terrorizing 6er =) hehehehe (evil grin)....
>hhhmmmmm..
>
>anyway, rebuild... how much? anyone??
>
>-mike d.

Jack Hilton III

Black 1998 Dodge Dakota R/T Club Cab

Charter Pipeline......the Next Wave.....

HEMI@charter.net

http://webpages.charter.net/hemi/jbd1.html