the fall(?) of the mighty premag

From: Michael Sykes (msykes@su.edu)
Date: Mon Oct 04 1999 - 17:56:33 EDT

okay guys, this is some bad news.....

the mighty premag, the one known as ooV6, the legendary Magnum Spankin' premag... may be on it's last legs.

Here are the symptoms:
1.) unusually high oil pressure. reading damn near the "H", but with the right amount of oil in the pan, and a new oil sending unit, and leaking main seals
2.) smoke comin' out of everything. Tailpipe, oil filler hole worries me the most. The smoke (and a lot of it) comes out of the pipe only under heavy throttle at higher RPMs.
3.) she goes through oil like I go through beer. I'm talkin' a quart every week and a half.
4.) black residue on my bumper and tail pipe.

I'm thinkin' it's time for Piston rings.. ie, rebuild. Does anyone know about how much a rebuild may cost?

 I do have a master plan tho...

If I can get a rebuild for cheap, I may put a set of Magnum heads on it, and a V8 TB. Along with the headers and all the stuff I have now, I'll be a V8 terrorizing 6er =) hehehehe (evil grin)....
hhhmmmmm..

anyway, rebuild... how much? anyone??

-mike d.