RE: full case lockers was: gear change

From: McKinney, John R. MHX (McKinJr@hpd.abbott.com)
Date: Thu Oct 07 1999 - 11:22:13 EDT

If comfort is the least of your worries and price is most important, buy the
Lock Right. It'll cost about $300 for the unit and if you have even just a
little mechanical knowledge or a helper who does, you won't have to spend
money to have somebody install it. Even if you paid somebody to do it, it
would cost no more than 1 to 1 1/2 hours of labor. I see you're nowhere
near CA or I'd help you do it, no prob.

The jerking/binding I was referring to is the teeth releasing and engaging
on the locker. This is what mechanically locks the differential. On a LSD
you usually have a friction material which allows slippage which is
smoother, but also won't totally lock the differential.

You should have the 9 1/4" rear (it has 12 bolts on the cover) since you
have a 99 V8 and a 5spd, so if you try to order it and they say it's not
available (they probably will), just tell them you want it for a mid 70's
Dodge full size truck, it's the same. That's what I had to do.

Hope this helped
John McKinney