New best time/Some observations

From: Jim, Donna, Erin, and Brian (leefam@wcc.net)
Date: Sat Oct 09 1999 - 22:29:46 EDT

On Friday night I got some new best times for my truck. WOOHOO!!!! It was
about 60 degrees out, 45% humidity, and track elevation is ~1900 ft.
Rundown on the truck:

93 Dak LE CC 5.2L (95k miles) 2wd auto 3.55 single track
weight: 4130 lbs w/me(160 lbs) in it & ~3/8 tank o' gas
Magnecore wires
Autolite Platnums
F&B Stage I TB
MP SBEC
K&N FIPK
Dynomax Cat and UltraFlo catback
Dual 12" Electric Flexilite Fans
R&D Performance Underdrive Pulleys
235/60 R15 Firestone SS10s on the rear (used - $40 for both!! w/80% tread
=) )
3.55 open rear

I ran hoodless and with the tailgate down. First run sucked - was so slow,
in the middle of the run I thought something was wrong with the Dak, turns
out the tailgate was up. I ran a 16.210 @ 85.38, next run, t-gate down,
15.855 @ 87.33. That should end that dispute of up vs. down. This time I
ran 235/60 tires instead of 255/60s like normal. Helped a bunch! Gives an
equvalent gear of ~3.73s. Worked good, only problem was that they would
spin pretty easy. Interestingly, I got my best 60' (and times) ever with
the 235s.

Best run:

60' 2.444
1/8 10.106 @ 71.50
1000' 13.062
1/4 15.586 @ 88.74

Took me 14 runs (I LOVE small town tracks - $15 entry fee/14 runs) on Fri.
night to get there, but I finally ran a 15.5! I got do test a bunch of
different things, though. Truck likes to be shifted at 5300 rpm with a
1800 rpm launch with 1/2 throttle 'til the 60' mark. Before, with the
hood on and 255/60s, the best I ever got here was a 15.915 @ 87.8 at this
track. I already know the hood is usually worth .2s and a couple mph.
That makes it look like the shorter tires where worth about .2s as well.

Ran a 99 Chevy Silverado (sp?) RC shortbed w/5.3 auto and aftermrket
exhaust. Whooped his ass! He ran a 16.662 @ 83.40. Pretty nice guy at
least. Had a run in with a rice boy too. He talked a bunch of sh*t about
me having an American vechicle, a truck, and that it was a Dodge - and how
his car was faster, etc. Beat him so bad it wasn't even funny! He ran a
18.803 @ 67.12 to my 15.657 @ 88.99. What a LOSER!!!

Brian