Re: Hurst Stick FYI attn: Joe G.

From: GS- (GSWillhite@ualr.edu)
Date: Wed Oct 13 1999 - 12:23:34 EDT

ZeNel1eac1@aol.com wrote:
> is there a part number on the stick that you used? and if so what advantages
> are there really to having a hurst shifter. I actually want one just becaue
> of all the ranting and raving everyone does, but if someone asked me why I
> did it ,........ I've got no answer's
>
> Please respond,
>
> 'Joe G.
> '98 318 5spd 4x4 sport plus

The Hurst stick is part no. 538-0060. It all started when I removed my
center console in my '98 RC for a little more room. I noticed the stock
shifter was designed to work around the console and the cupholders and
yet be fairly efficent. Yet this left the stick almost vertical. I also
noticed this setup kept the H pattern just out of comfortable reach. I
decided to take the stick and lower the shifting pattern a few degrees
into my area without lengthening it in any way.

Since I could not do this with the stock shifter I decided to try a
Hurst.
I was also not convinced that a real short stick was the answer because
you loose leverage and it gets harder to put it into gear, especially in
spanking applications. Several good factors also came into play when I
finished the mod. The Hurst is solid steel and the stock stick was
light,
hollow and mounted in rubber. Now when I shift, it goes into gear a
little
more solid than it did before and I don't have to lean as far forward to
make
a shift. I also found out you can vary the length of the stick 1-3
inches by changing to different knobs. The stock Knob will fit the Hurst
with a 3/8 nut and works fantastic. I think the mod would work for those
with bench seats as
well to a lesser degree. I wanted to get rid of the console and this
opened up
extra room to do it. All in all a generic stock setup is ok, if it fits,
I know I want an edge, several small ones add up sometimes. ;]

BE WARNED!
There is some cutting, welding and grinding to be done here. The Hurst
stick is not a direct bolt in! But it is relatively easy if you have
access to tools and
a good buddy who knows how to weld! :)

GS -

98 5.2L 5spd