Re: Fw: magnum R/T specs

From: WillTier@aol.com
Date: Wed Oct 13 1999 - 21:04:53 EDT

In a message dated 10/12/99 10:44:43 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
macncheesemonster@hotmail.com writes:

<< I'm interested in hearing more about this template set. What exactly does
 it consit of? (Humor me, I'm the new guy).
      When I ported the exhaust on my Samurai (laugh all you want), what I
 did was hold up the exhaust gasket to the mating surface and shade in all
 the extra metal with a sharpie. Then I busted out the dremel and went to
 work. It was a worthwhile improvement. Is this similar to the template(s)?

Mopar Performance makes a template set for the magnum heads (I think it was
$20 -30 ?) anyway they are plexaglass or something similar. There are several
for both the intake and exhaust. The are set up for 12 , 3 , 6 , 9 o'clock.
They slip into the valve guide holes and you port til the templates fit as
indicated then blend together. You need to be careful of not going to deep
and into the water jackets but the explain things pretty good. BUT if you get
a set you need to call MP Performance to have them fax ya a set of proper
directions as the ones I got did not correspond properly. It is not too
difficult but time consuming and you need to take you time and be careful or
you can get into big trouble. I also gasket matched the ports as you did. I'm
not sure how much it helped as it was in conjunction with other mods but I
have heard it doesn't do much unless you are running high RPM's like over
6000 which I don't do. It was interesting to see how much difference there
was between the ports especially the exhaust. And the amount of casting crap
in them. I think if I had been on quality controll I would have scrapped
these heads :-) But they turned out pretty well. You do need a couple of long
deburring bits which I finally found in McMaster Carr and much more
reasonable than other places that could have ordered them.

Hope this helps
Bill