Re: ATTN : Owners of Gibson single exhaust

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Thu Oct 14 1999 - 10:58:01 EDT

At 01:42 AM 10/14/99 -0400, you wrote:
>I've got a '99 Dakota 318/5-speed RC/SB and installed a Gibson dual
>catback while back. This system sounds great, and made a noticeable
>difference, but I'm getting tired of having to constantly adjust the pipes
>so they exit straight. I'm considering just replacing the system with a
>Gibson single catback. My only concern is that I had to cut off my stock
>exhaust about 8-1/2" from the weld on the cat. Do you have to do the same
>thing for the single catback? I'd hate to order it and have it not fit
>because of this.

If the muffler for the single catback is the same as the one on the dual
catbak, probably yes on the cut. The reason for the cutting is that the
Gibson muffler is angled differently from the stock muffler when put in
the stock muffler location. The cutting was to compensate for the difference
in angle by putting a connector pipe at the cut. Not sure if this is the
reason for the constant adjustment so your pipes exit straight.

When I had the dual rear exit installed, the last thing done after the
pipes were aligned was to weld the connector pipe so the pipe alignments
would remained true.

Bob, S. Ont.
'97 FR CC Sport, 5.2L, 3.55 SG, auto., 15.234 @ 87.26