Re: fuel pump ponderings

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Fri Oct 15 1999 - 01:26:53 EDT

On Thu, 14 Oct 1999, Pedro J. Diaz wrote:
[...]
> My peculiar pondering is: is there any way to increase fuel delivery,
> i.e. a secondary pump, larger diameter fuel lines, or whatever? It
> feels like it might be worth the effort.

   Larger fuel lines probably wouldn't matter, as off-idle is a
relatively small fuel requirement. Plus, there are quite a few
Dakotas running very fast at the dragstrip with the stock lines
which have no leaning out problems.

   Since the regulator is inside the tank itself, I suppose its possible
that yours is malfunctioning. I don't think my throttle response has
ever changed after filling up. (I haven't noticed it anyway, and I
suspect if it did change as much as yours apparently is, I should...)
If its under warranty, it might not be a bad idea to let the dealer
have a look at it.

   Paxton makes a couple of nice fuel pumps. If/when I get a high
output 360 in my Dak, I think I'm going to use one of them, maybe
along with some bigger fuel lines just in case. They have a
couple different ones; I forget the names but they're Japanese
sounding (Kamakazi?). The larger of the two can be mounted
in-tank for better cooling, which is nice. Of course, if you
replace the fuel pump, you'll also need to add an aftermarket
regulator, I believe, unless the stock one can be used. (Along with
a fuel return line, unless you can mount the regulator in the tank too.)
Also, I'm not sure if the computer monitors the fuel pump or regulator.
If it does, you may get a trouble code if you remove them.

                                              -Jon-

  | '96 Dodge Dakota V8, '96 Suzuki Intruder 1400, '96 Kolb FireFly 447 |