RE: Spring shackles WAS -- lowering help --

From: Bernd D. Ratsch (bernd@texas.net)
Date: Fri Oct 15 1999 - 06:31:14 EDT

2-2 Drop...doesn't that mean 2" Front and 2" Rear?? You still moving the
suspension around...but 2" isn't enough for shims.

Just for an example: My truck has the 3" Suspension Lift. When I had it in
for my transmission replacement, the service manager (and tech) noted on the
repair order that the pinion angle was within factory specifications. This
was done to insure that the transmission would fall under the factory
warranty.

The angle DID change with the suspension lift, but not enough to warrant
shims. However, 4" or more, and it's time for shims. It seems that lifting
(or lowering) doesn't change the pinion angle enough to require
shims...unless you're either "putting it in the weeds" or lifting it more
than 3". I believe the 3"+ Drop kits include shims. The Lift kits should
as well.

- Bernd