Re: What are our choices for Superchargers???

From: Kabuki2@aol.com
Date: Fri Oct 15 1999 - 11:55:46 EDT

In a message dated 10/13/99 11:18:46 PM Eastern Daylight Time, SuperNagz
writes:

<< Exactly how much "change from the original instructions" are we talking
about? >>

Usually it's just the mounting location of the fuel pump/fmu assembly.
There's plenty of room under there to mount them (fenderwell). Some might
require an alternate way to plumb into the fuel lines, but on most models the
fittings are already there.

<< Trust me.. I'm no mechanic!! But I was going to politely ask my uncles
for help... (they have built a 9 second Monte Carlo w/ a 454 big block... and
one of them is the head engine builder for the Roush Nascar Tauruses)>>

Then you don't have anything to worry about... someone who just has a basic
understanding of how the fuel enrichment system works (and fuel systems),
plus other little things like the ignition system might get alittle
complicated if you are clueless when it comes to eletrical work, but I think
you'll be alright.

<<Anyways, how hard of an install is it?

You said you have a '97. I'm guessing you have a 318? Would this kit also
work on my 360?

Also does Vortech offer an intercooler for use on this application?

One more question... what were the before and after results of the Vortech?
(dyno runs and/or 1/4 mile times???)>>

It's alot of bolt turning, but that's about it. The instructions are very
detailed and it's a complete kit w/ ign. retard.

I don't think they offer an intercooler, but one woulnd't be that hard to fab
up. Also, Vortech likes to use something they call an aftercooler, it's
basically a intercooler that's water/air instead of air/air. The only problem
I have with this setup is what happens when the water gets warm. The heat
exchanger just makes matters worse at the dragstrip (melts ice quick), so,
one like this would only be effective if you were looking for maximum ET
reduction.

A custom air/air setup would be better IMO. This was going to be a future mod
of mine for sure, because at high boost levels, a good intercooler setup is
just as valuble as the huffer.

<< P.S. I don't have A/C, so I'm guessing this may help me given that I have
more room around the accessories to play with not having that damn compressor.

Thanks for everything... I have always heard nothing but good things about
Vortech, and I honestly don't want to run a Powerdyne or.. Procharger.. or
whatever not so common names are out there.>>

The Vortech's are great this way ... the only thing you need to relocate is
the coil (bracket included) so it fits nicely under the hood. I had an engine
picture up on my web page (which is STILL down :( ) , plus it's on the
DragTruk page from long ago.

I'm selling mine off my truck. $1900. Includes everything, w/ MSD's 6ALBTM
instead of the Crane Hi-6TR.... FWIW