Re: What to set tires to for drag racing? (And, also everyday driving)

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Sat Oct 16 1999 - 09:43:06 EDT

At 05:50 PM 10/15/99 EDT, you wrote:
>I know your supposed to partially decrease the rear tire pressures and
>increase the front tires pressures. My question is what should these
pressure
>readings be at?

Set your fronts to 30 psi. Set your rears to 30 psi. If you can lay down
a patch on cement for 5-10 feet, examine the tire marks on the cement.
If the marks show even black from edge to edge, then the tires are set
for drag racing. Some (including myself, when I was using street radials)
have had success with lowering the rears about 5 lbs below rec. setting
on the inside of the door. There was an article in Car Craft (I believe)
on running with street radials that said, if anything, the rears should be
set 5 lb HIGHER than rec. setting???

>Second question, what should the tires be set at for everyday driving? The
>inside of my door says 30psi, but they list my tires as being the ones
>mounted on the 15x8" rim.

I would run with the 30 psi settings and eyeball your treads on a regular
basis for awhile to see if they are wearing evenly from edge to edge.
My indoor settings say 35 psi and that's what I use, even though I have
changed rim backspacing and tire size. Over a period of time, eyeballing
has shown that there is even wear from edge to edge.

Hope this helps.

Bob. Southern Ontario, Canada.
'97 FR CC Sport, 5.2L, 3.55 SG, auto.
Racing weight: 4,350lb ET: 15.234 Trap speed: 89.81 mph