Re: I need rims to mount snow tires, and slicks!

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Sun Oct 17 1999 - 16:18:30 EDT

At 12:33 PM 10/17/99 EDT, you wrote:
>I think I'm going to buy a cheap (read: low cost) set of wheels and mount a
>pair of snow tires for my rears for this winter. So, I figure, I might as
well
>make sure these rims can double to mount a nice set of slicks for the
track come
the nice weather.
>My question: What size (radius and width) rim should I buy? Also, what
would be
>a good snow tire to mount on them?

The AR-767 rims are probably the cheapest available rims for the Dak.
Since they
are steel, they are heavier (good for winter) but not so much so, that
they'd be
a big factor for drag racing (maybe 5 lbs/rim).

I've used 235/75R15 Bridgestone Blizzaks the past 3 winters. You do not
want a
wide, low profile tire for snow but a taller, thinner tire. The Blizzaks
are very good
in deep snow and excellent in icy conditions.

Since I bought mine, there are types of Blizzaks; one where snow is more
predominant
and the other, for more milder conditions where icy is more likely.

The 15 x 8 767 rims can handle 275/60 drag radials with ease. I have been
using
this combo at the track this year.

Bob. Southern Ontario, Canada.
'97 FR CC Sport, 5.2L, 3.55 SG, auto.
Racing weight: 4,350lb ET: 15.234 Trap speed: 89.81 mph