8 1/4 axle

From: Jon Smith (fast4x4@bellsouth.net)
Date: Sun Oct 17 1999 - 16:41:01 EDT

I'm curious to know if those with the 8.25" and making a good bit of power
have had problems with spider gears. I just had to replace the rear axle
assembly, the previous spider gears turned to mush, and the metal flakes
(according to the ferd dealer that worked on it...) wore the ring/pinon
significantly, along with crapping out the bearings. These had been the 2nd
set of spider gears, the 1st set were missing only 2 or 3 teeth as compared
with 2 or 3 remaining on this last set.

Good news is I now have a SG unit (don't these still retain spider gears?)
bad news is it was mighty expensive, and the dealer is basically trying to
rape me on labor costs. I have the old axle assembly still, and am trying
to find somewhere to get a Rockwell hardness test done on the spider gears,
hopefully to prove that the dealer used counterfeit parts.

TIA
Jon Smith-Raleigh,NC-http://www4.ncsu.edu/~jdsmith4
'95 318 auto CC 4x4: Accel Supercoil, JBA headers,
dual glasspack, 14x3 FABM, F&B Stage I TB, !EGR,
MSD 8.5's, self-moded intake, 180 degree thermo,
ASP crank pulley, 16" Hayden elec. fan, MP SBEC,
BEST: 0-60 in 6.3 & 1/4mi 15.5@87.5
207.2 RWHP, 276.2 RW ft/lbs
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ