Re: RE: Dakota Body lift ?

From: Dave Scelfo (macncheesemonster@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Oct 18 1999 - 19:43:31 EDT

> lift? I've heard mixed opinion about combining the Suspension & body
>lifts.
> Some say it can be done, from a technical standpoint, but that it would
> create too much torqueing of the frame and change driveline geometry too
> much. Guess it really comes down to how good the installer is.

     Ah, offroad talk. I finally feel at home! Anyway, just to throw my 2
cents in.... A body lift doesn't change your driveline gemeotry at all.
Thats why its a "body lift."
     Body lifts are an area in which there is much debate. I'm not a big
fan myself. If you're going to offroad the truck, suspension lift is more
money but its worth every penny. A body lift is only good to help you get
that little bit extra to squeeze the tires under. I'd never install more
than a 1" body lift.
     If you're lifting your truck for show, well.... IMHO, nothing looks
cheesier than that big gaping space between the frame and the body. I think
they make a product called "Chassis Pants" or something equally as silly to
fix this.
     Another problem is that although your body was lifted, the shifters are
sill down low. Some kits fix this problem, some kits don't. I don't know
the details on this one. Alot of the times with the taller kits you're
required to lengthen the whole in floor for the shifter (manual).

     So all in all. I think I left you right back where we started. I hope
I atleast cleared something up.

--
Dave