Re: Re: Nitrous Express, I want it, I want it bad

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Tue Oct 19 1999 - 00:26:25 EDT

On Mon, 18 Oct 1999 NVMYDakota@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 10/18/99 9:14:19 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
> nosdakota@email.msn.com writes:
>
> << mine was $500 but I had a bottle heater lying around from a NOS system and
> purge valve already. I would recomend their next gen kit which comes with
> those things if I remember right(please don't quote me ) I think it was
> around $800. >>
>
> OUCH OUCH OUCH, I though Nitrous was a low dolar alternative, but $800 bucks
> OUCH! If I did have it, were, in cab or bed, also where to purge it at, just
> out the side or on the windshield as most? is there an actaully reason?
>
> Also how and where did you get it, full or empty bottle? Sorry I ask so
> much, I am jsut trying to see if it is worht the money Greg

   $800 isn't anything to sneeze at, but for that kind of performance
increase, that *is* low buck... Price a supercharger sometime. Sad
but true. :-(

   Actually, as with many things, you're probably looking at more than
$800, depending on how safe you want to be. A while ago, I priced out
a NX nitrous system and all the other components that I'd need to
make it as safe as possible, and it came out to around $2,000. (Granted,
about $500-600 of that is for a new Holley ignition system; you could
probably save a few hundred if you wanted to go with MSD.)

As for your other questions:

   The bottle should be put in the bed; its safer there. (And depending
on how strict the track you run at is, they may require you to put it
there if you want to run.) The purge valve is generally placed so
the stream of purged nitrous sprays across the windshield (without
actually hitting the windshield). This is so you can see the stream
to be sure its not sputtering, etc. The purge valve gets rid of any air
between the solenoids and the bottle. It just keeps your runs more
consistant. (If the air isn't purged, it'll come through the solenoid
and displace some of the nitrous, making the engine run extremely rich
momentarily as extra fuel is sprayed without nitrous.) I'm not sure
if there's a safety implication, but it can affect consistancy between
runs. Many people don't use them, many people do. As far as how much
a refill costs, I'm not sure. It'll probably vary in price across
the country, sort've like gas prices vary. Most nitrous manufacturers
have a list of filling stations on their web site; you might want to
call the ones in your area for current prices.

                                              -Jon-

  | '96 Dodge Dakota V8, '96 Suzuki Intruder 1400, '96 Kolb FireFly 447 |